Monday, July 26, 2010

Buyer Beware!

Yesterday we drove by a farm advertising fresh sweet corn. Yum!! I had Dave check it out and they were sold out at the moment, but more corn would be ready in about 20 minutes. I returned about 2 hours later to buy myself a dozen ears. The woman and her 2 sons were selling out of the back of the pickup and I was getting the last dozen of the day. When she took my $4 (which I thought was a rather high price) the litle boy next to her whispered, "Should we tell the lady, Mom?" The mother quietly shushed him, and handed me my bag and I left. Wonder what it was the little boy wanted to confess?

Maybe that the second picking of corn was really next week's prime ears. Of the 12 ears I got, about 4 of them needed at least 3 -4 more days of ripening, and the rest were really puny and not ready at all.

Oh well.

2 comments:

Ada said...

Sounds like that little boy had better scruples than his mother!

rk2 said...

Poor Judy! Although outrageously priced ($5/dozen), there is a stand on my route to/from work that sells wonderful sweet corn here. Today was the first day they have it available. It's really, really good, but I always pull back the shucks to see what it looks like.

An interesting dynamic of this area is how many places have self-serve produce. They will put a wagon or shelves of produce in their front yard with a box. It's completely an honor system that you put in the correct amount of money in the box. Apparently people in the area are pretty honest because there are a lot of places like this.