Friday, June 18, 2010

Pros and Cons of the Public Pool



Spent the afternoon at the public pool in Normal. I can say there were positive points and some definite negative points.

Pro: I was pleased that I accomplished 18 laps in one of the two lap-only lanes.
Con: The bottom of the pool under the 2 lap-only lanes was cluttered with dirty bandaids, hair ribbons, hair and sand/dirt. Could not put my feet down on the bottom at all.
Pro: The lifeguards did keep everyone out of the lap-only lanes so that anyone who wanted to actually swim laps could do so.
Pro: I was only 1 of 2 people who wanted to swim laps the entire time I was at the pool.
Con: The rest of the pool was PACKED with people, as were all the chairs and the grassy area. (Though not quite as packed as the Japanese wave pool in the video.)
Pro: My suit, my old hat and old goggles worked just fine for lap swimming.
Pro: I saw absolutely no one I knew, so I felt totally free to swim, wear my old hat and goggles, do water aerobics, and dry out in the sun without worrying about anyone watching me.
Con: The teenage group who eventually settled in next to me were not discreet with their displays of affection and frank (frankly disgusting)conversation.
Con: "Please exit the pool for a mandatory chemical treatment" means everybody out for 30 minutes because someone doo-dooed in the pool.
Pro: "Judy, you're so tan!" Feels good, looks good.
Con: "Judy, you're so tan!" Embarrassing, because obviously it really is so bad.
Pro: Exercising, relaxing, reading a good book while drying out...what a life!
Con: That little voice in my head (I think it is Dave's) saying, "Don't you have windows to wash, floors to sweep, groceries to get??

So we'll see how often I make it to the pool, but for today, it was kind of a fun adventure.

7 comments:

Carol said...

Today was a perfect day to be at a pool! Wow, it was so hot! I'm glad the late afternoon rain cooled it off. Your pros and cons were fun to read, Judy.

Ada said...

Enjoyed your observations and comments. If you can promise nobody would know us, I might meet you there someday. I love wave pools - well I did a few years ago - but I think I'd get clear claustrophobic in that one!!

Ann said...

Wow - the con about the bandaids and the hair on the bottom was enough to negate the pros.

We really don't have public pools in the south any more.

Ann said...

I forgot to say - Congratulations on 18 laps! Impressive!

Nog Blog said...

I learned to swim laps years ago when we lived in Gridley and a group of us would drive to Flanagan at 4:30 in the morning 3x a week. It is the one exercise I like and can do, but the logistics and expense of swimming year round, the hassle of the wet and the hair, etc., makes it an involved sport to do. It's also one exercise you can do and not get sore muscles. A huge plus!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh...that pool in the video is so disgusting! What pool in Normal did you go to? We are very fortunate to be able to go to State Farm Park, although sometimes I look around there and wonder why I'm in the same body of water with some of those people. The older I get, the worse I am about it.

Cleve said...

Crystal & Kathleen laughed til we cried!