Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pollen, pollen everywhere

I am looking out the window at a yellow haze. Tree pollen is dusting everything. Roads and parking lots are yellow. Cars are covered. There's a yellow film on top of the lake or any other standing water. I'll have to vacuum the furniture on the porch before we can sit out there, and clean the glass table tops out there before anything can be put on them (but not until right before we're going to use them, because all will soon be covered again). And everywhere you go you hear people sneezing! The only way to get rid of it is to pray for rain. Does any other part of the country have pollen issues this bad?!!

5 comments:

rk2 said...

When I was in college in SC, I was told it was one of the very worst placed in the country for allergies.
When I moved to Illinois I was told that it was one of the worst places for allergies.
When I moved to Ohio I was told it was one of the worst places in the country for allergies.
When I moved to Chattanooga I was told it was one of the worst place in the country for allergies.
When I moved back to Ohio I had very bad allergy issues every fall and spring.
My vote is that SW Ohio is the worst.

Ada said...

I didn't realize pollen a was visible substance. It used to bother me a lot but I never "saw" it. In fact, I kinda wondered why Jerry continued dating me because all summer I "sprayed" my nose so I could breath. Wasn't I lucky that he loved me so much . . .

The allergies gradually disappeared probably in my 30's.

Eric - Retta said...

Spend 3 days at home in Alabama with MY wife and kids and the car was covered in pollen. Since being back in Illinois, I haven't seen any pollen, although it is in the air.

Our asphalt driveway in Alabama turns green each spring due to the pollen and when it does rain, the rain runs in streams through the pollen until it is washed away. EDK

Ann said...

Just heard on the news tonight that right now the pollen counts are 3x higher than the "very high" indicators! Don't know if these units are right, but something like "very high" is 1500 ppm, and right now the counts are 4500 ppm. Anyway - no wonder everything outside is dusted in yellow and green.

rk2 said...

go to www.pollen.com and put in your zip code to get a pollen index reading and a list of the things causing allergy issues.

Today in West Michigan the pollen index is medium at 6.3 but will be medium-high the next three days. Today's predominant pollen is juniper, birch, and ash.