Friday, November 27, 2009

Too Funny to Keep to Ourselves

Mother K once said: "When I forget, you consider it senility, but you think nothing of it when you forget." Bear her words in mind as you read the following:

Yesterday (Thanksgiving) we joined Mary's family for the usual traditional dinner. All the family contributes food and when we arrived, we rang the doorbell and walked in through the unlocked door. What a surprise to see that unfamiliar folks were already eating; Mary had not told us of these extra guests. Can you believe that we were at the house next door? The design is much like that of the Mary and Joey's home--same sidewalk leading to the porch and the dining room immediately to the right as one enters the front door (that was as far as we got!). Had we not been so intent on getting the food into the house, the different house appearance would have been obvious. The next door host met us immediately and said, "Are you looking for Joey?" The whole thing was too ridiculous to be embarrassed. We beat a quick retreat and are still laughing at the blunder.

7 comments:

Ada said...

Well, Lynn and Mim -- I think you may get the all-time prize with this one. I'm sure I'll burst out laughing several times today as I think of this!!!

Ann said...

You may remember that I wrote about something similar (and actually much worse!) that happened to our friends the Kaufmans a couple of years ago, on the Sunday before Thanksgiving:

http://fromsinkingsand.blogspot.com/2007/11/free-household-help.html

Nog Blog said...

I, too, am laughing out loud. Sometimes life is so funny!

rk2 said...

Oh no, I have both their genes!!!

I'm scared; I'm very scared!

rk2 said...

And I'll remember Grandma's comment the next time I walk into the neighbor's house when I come to visit you.

Cleve said...

Embarrassing to say the least. You might now relate, at least a little, to how Kathleen and I felt as fresh newlyweds when we were invited to your brother Chuck & Miriam Hemmer's for an early Sunday morning breakfast when you were visiting them in 1972 on Richwoods Blvd. We lived nearby and were invited, but totally overslept -- awakening to Chuck's phone call "Are you coming?" It was simply too late to get ready, so we confessed and declined. We were likely the butt of their ensuing jokes.

Tim - Cathy said...

Once, when our girls were still at home, we decided to go to Bloomington and eat at Perkins Family Restaurant. We were so busy talking that we didn't realize we had gone into the wrong restaurant until, to our suprise, the hostess said, "Welcome to The Ground Round!" We ended up eating at The Ground Round that night and since then, when we make some kind of blunder we look at each other and say, "Welcome to The Ground Round"

Tim