Sunday, June 21, 2009

OUR FATHER'S DAY


5:30 am: Got up, made coffee, took IV bag out of fridge, and waited for nurse to arrive.

6:00 am: Nurse arrived, and watched me flush the pick line and administer the bag of antibiotic

7:30 am: I remove the empty bag, clamp the line and flush the pickline (Jerry watches me closely!)
8:00 am: We prepare for daily bathing - I washed Jerry's hair (first shampoo since last Monday) and I dumped as much water on the floor as I got in the dishpan, Jerry continued the sponge bath while I sopped up the water on the floor, got dressed and went back to one of the two chairs he sits in while I cleaned the kitchen and put dirty towels and clothes in washing machine.

9:00 am: Prepared and ate breakfast of eggs, potatoes, bacon, and toast and juice.

10:00 am: I listened to Earl's sermon via telephone line and Jerry slept

1:00 pm: began watching the Cubs

1:30 pm: Nurse returned, changed the dressing on his hip (we thought about sending you a picture of the site but thought better of it), then she again watched me administer the IV and trusted us enough to leave before it was finished and said she wouldn't come back for the 10 pm dose - so I guess I've passed the competency test.

3:00 pm: I finished the IV, played at the computer, finished watching the game, read my book, and fell asleep. Jerry finished watching the game and had his first stint at the computer since returning home where he harvested some trees on his facebook farm.

5:30 pm: Grilled hamburgers, ate dinner, cleaned up kitchen, etc.

Except for the 10 pm IV, we're free for the evening and who knows what fun we might have. I will say that Jerry is doing well - moving from chair to chair and taking occasional walks around the house. Probably his most used phrase today was "Ada, will you hold the chair steady while I sit down (or stand up)?" I won't tell you what the second most used phrase was, but if you have an imagination you might be able to figure it out. :)

All in all, it's been a good day. Jerry's doing well and getting stronger every day. We have our ups and downs, but we have much to be thankful for. I can hear him snoring as I type this.

We would have a few "hospital stories" to tell, but that would make this already too-long post waaaayyyyy too long.

1 comment:

Rhoda said...

Wow, I'm impressed you can do the IV thing! It's amazing that's all part of home care now.

It's good to hear the Jerry is doing so well!