Monday, June 1, 2009

The American Dream

With the filing of GM for bankruptcy today, we are all proud owners of a new car company. On behalf of my coworkers, I want to say thank you! We are able to continue to produce and sell car parts, even if the American consumers are not buying the cars they go into. (The previous statements could generate enough comments on their own, but that's not why I post).

One of the articles I read on Friday included the statement, “The hope of the Midwestern American dream is gone.”* Now although none of us might not actually believe it, some folks out there believe the Klopfenstein clan have lived the American Dream. So here's my question, "What is the Midwestern American Dream?" "Have you lived it?" & "Is it Dead?"

EDK

*Lansing: ‘The legacy is gone’ in a GM town" By MATTHEW MILLER • Lansing State Journal • May 30, 2009

4 comments:

Ada said...

Well Eric, I (Jerry) will venture out there and define the "American Dream"...In my life - from my family (not Klop's) The American Dream is to live life at an economic level that exceeds that of your parents. I think for me, yes, I certanily have lived a life that exceeded my parents. I also think that my children A, D, and J are living a life that has exceeded mine...BUT I fear that my grandchildren will be the first generation that their economic standard will NOT exceed their parents...And there are not enough fingers in the world to point to whose fault that is...conservative and liberals are equally to blame.

Nog Blog said...

I read the post to Dave this morning, and for those of you who know Dave well, you can imagine some of what I had to listen to...I guess I can sum it up by saying, yes, we are living the American dream, but we're not enjoying it very much. I could go on...and on...but I won't. I didn't love the lecture I got. I agree with Jerry, the success of the dream has also been the American downfall. Will we be able to put down our toys and gadgets, find some honesty and integrity, and build our national honor again? We've left the next generation with a lot of work to do.

Anonymous said...

I don't know Eric enough to know if he's kidding or not, and I really don't know that much about the GM bankruptcy. I do know that I don't want to own GM. I've got more than enough to worry about in my own little world. I have a good life, yes, but the president of my company is earning millions of dollars. I don't even know how you could spend that much living here in B/N? Despite what's going on in the economy, I'll just keep doing what I do. Go to work and come home, keeping many plates in the air and hoping for the best.

Eric - Retta said...

I was joking about the GM deal! I can't believe what our government has done. I'm frustrated with the bailout of GM because they have not learned anything from it. This week proved it to me again with my interactions with GM. Although I hate to see folks loose their jobs, throwing our hard earned taxed money into the mix has only allowed them to continue to run inefficitently (SP) until the next time they are broke. EDK