Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Memories of DC

With the Inauguration last week and Uncle Jerry & Aunt Ada spending time in DC, I got to thinking about the different times I was able to visit Washington. I pulled out some old photo albums and had a good time looking through them and remembering the details of the trips. Here are a couple of photos/memories...


In the summer of 1986 I flew out to DC to spend a week with Grandpa and Grandma. It was a very fun week and I enjoyed the special attention from my grandparents, especially Grandma's foot rubs at the end of each day of sight-seeing. Attached is a picture of me and Grandpa at Mt. Vernon (I believe that was his favorite tourist sight ??).








Then in 1989 Crystal and I got to fly out together to spend a week with them. One of the highlights of our trip was getting to wait on the White House lawn to welcome home the President. I think we had a special pass to do this since Grandma volunteered in the mail room. It was a very hot 103 degree day and we had to arrive early. We were given a little American flag to wave and we packed in on the lawn to wait (I have a leaf from the White House lawn saved in my album). Two hours later the helicopter arrived, President Bush (George H.W. Bush) gave a speech on his diplomatic travels, and then he started walking our direction. I put my camera over my head and started snapping as fast as I could (for anyone who remembers the 80s culture - I believe it was a pink LeClic disk camera). Of course this was before digital cameras so I had to wait until I got home and developed the pictures to see if I got anything. And I did! A great picture of the President as he shook the hand of the gentlemen in front of me.








I would love to hear any of your favorite memories of Washington DC, whether it was a trip to visit Ralph and Catherine or any other time. Pictures are always fun too!








P.S. Also had this Inaugural invitation tucked into my photo album. I think Grandma gave it to me during the 89 visit. Pretty cool!

7 comments:

Ada said...

Enjoyed your post and memories. I also visited Ralph and Catherine for a few days when they were in DC and they certainly knew how to entertain. I think it is amazing, Shelley, that you have time to sort through pictures and post an interesting blog!

Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed your post and memories, Shelley! When we went there to visit Ralph & Catherine, Charity and I shopped in the Crystal City mall (under the ground). We purchased Charity's 8th grade graduation dress (it HAD to be white). This was in August and she wore it the next May. It is still my very favorite dress of any our girls ever wore. I have it is the upstairs closet. (I'm too sentimental to get rid of it.) It's so fun to reminisce (spelling?)!

Ann said...

I've never been to DC (it's on my "bucket list") but really enjoyed reading about your memories.

Anonymous said...

A great Post, Shelley. Ann, you need to get there -- many, many attractions and most are 100% free and within walking distance of each other. With your interest in politics and history, you and your family would love it.
Cleve

Anonymous said...

As I mentioned in some of Aunt Ada's posts I had dreamed of going to DC for years and years and finally got to spend 10 days there in June 2007. My friend was taking a grad class for a week so we toured on the two weekends and she went to class all week. During the days I'd do the tourist thing and then in the evenings she and I would try to get out a little as well.

The library of Congress was one of my favorite places to go which kind of surprised me, but the architecture is amazing.

I will never forget the feeling on our first morning when we walked out of the metro and looking to the left we could see the Washington Monument and to the right the Capitol. We did several of the Smithsonian museums and then later afternoon walked to the Washington Monument, the WWII memorial, the Korean monument, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Vietnam Memorial. Needless to say we were exhausted when we got back to the room.

As we walked up the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and I read the second inaugural address I just had tears streaming down my eyes (similar to when I stood at Ft. Sumter) to think of the great divisiveness in the country at the time. At least we are not at war in our divisive times now. And, then to read his words again really got to me.

As far as memorials I would say the Lincoln and Iwo Jima memorials were my favorites. We loved the night time tour, but it was nice to have already seen most of them in the day.

I always wanted to go to DC when Uncle Ralph and Aunt Catherine were there, but I never made it.

Eric - Retta said...

The things I remember most are kind of strange.

What I remember the most is Grandma and Grandpa's apartment When I think of DC, that is the first thing that comes to mind. Grandma making us beds on the floor out of cushions, pillows and blankets, while dressed in her housecoat and curlers.

I also remember the usual sites, but the place I remember visiting the most was Grandpa's office at the USDA. EDK

Crystal Klopfenstein said...

That was a great trip! I have several close-up pics of President Bush, Barbara, and even dog Millie. Washington D.C. is a great place to visit. Just be sure to take your walking shoes!