Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"TAKEN ABACK"

Our church has a jr/high group called ACTIVE (not sure what that means) and each student is paired up with an older adult couple. We are supposed to attempt to interact with them throughout the year and there are three organized evenings with the entire group - tonight being the first one. It's a little difficult sometimes to make conversation with adolescents, but we were doing pretty good.

Our "friend" is Brian Steffen's son, Dylan. He was very friendly. Don and Rosie Gramm were also at our table and their young friend is Joseph Metz. One topic of discussion was about things we did when we were young. So I was telling them about Gridley when I was a child. I asked them if they knew where the tennis courts were. They both nodded yes and I said that those tennis courts were built when I was in high school. The little Metz boy's eyes grew big and he innocently said "I didn't know they were THAT old!" I was just "taken aback" and got clear frustrated! After all, I'M NOT THAT OLD!!

9 comments:

kelsie c. said...

Haha! I'm sure he didn't mean it like that grandma, but you did say that they pair the kids with and older couple so to him you probably seem "old". You are his elder and to kids my age, and he's a lot younger I'm sure, that's kind of code for old. Don't worry though you're the best "old" lady I know.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too badly - Our youngest had "Senior Citizen Day" (or in her words "Old People Day") yesterday, and she raided my closet for clothes! Now I'm REALLY not that old! She placated me though, "Don't worry, you don't LOOK old in those clothes!"

Anonymous said...

I remember as a child thinking how old Grandma K. was. A few years ago I realized my parents are older for John Michael than Grandma K was when I was his age.

Nog Blog said...

It's all the perspective. You're very young in my eyes!

I had a funny thought about Grandma K this morning when I was looking at a catalog. Suddenly remembered when Grandma sold shoes from a magazine. What was that about?? Did she need money, or was that just her adventuresome spirit coming out...like the time she took a typing class, or the time she made several brightly colored head coverings for the younger sisters in church? She was a little put out about it when the young girls all picked the brown or black ones, and she was left with yellow, blue, purple...

Anonymous said...

In addition, I have to say how great it is that you're making this effort to continue to stay involved. We're very thankful for the example you and your siblings are showing in not quitting, staying involved, and using your sphere of influence to help and encourage.

Ann said...

Judy - was that when she sold Blair products?

You know what will make you feel old? When you realize you're the same age as Grandma was in the picture at the top of this blog! That was a humbling experience! Cathy should be able to relate.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh, Ann!

Nog Blog said...

Maybe it was Blair...I think Dave bought a pair of shoes from her, so it was a later venture for her. Maybe she thought it was fun.

Ada said...

Thanks for all the comments - especially to Kelsie who still things I'm the best! Age is always a very "relative" factor.

I had forgotten about Mother "selling" from a catalog, but I do remember her typing. She could go about 30 wam I believe. You know, she was only 57 when her husband died - pretty young, wasn't it? As I look back on that, she was an amazing woman to "carry on" as she did on her own.