Monday, October 13, 2008

Economy

The newspaper and TV news are full of stories about the recent financial events, and if you listen to conservative talk radio they paint a pretty gloom and doom picture if Mr. Obama is elected. [On a side note, I think I am going to ban my husband from listening to talk radio because it gets him too worked up!]

We were with friends last night and inevitably the conversation turned to the impending financial crisis our country is facing. It was interesting to hear all the ideas of how people have already started 'tightening their belts' and making cuts to their spending habits.

I was just curious how everyone is feeling about it and what, if any, changes they are planning to make in their households. I saved the sale flier from my favorite store yesterday and am planning to do our menus based on what is one sale - many of my friends do this and I have not been motivated to try it until now. Also, as much as it pains me to do it, I will be calling our internet provider today and downgrading our service. We are paying a ridiculous amount for 'highspeed' which is actually very slowspeed. So slow that Sam can not get into his EMR charts from work on it. On a positive note, gas prices are down and we can fill up our van for significantly less.

Any other ideas for saving?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have done quite a bit to save money. First, I took a class at Heartland (only cost $15) to learn how to "coupon." Now that I am "couponing," I'm learning to work the system at several stores. Most notable is Walgreen's. If you do it right, and are willing to stock up a bit, you can get all your beauty, bathroom and cleaning supplies for next to nothing. As you can imagine, with 3 girls in the house, we go through quite a bit of shampoo, toilet paper and such. So that leaves my grocery shopping to the grocery stores. Like you, Shelley, I check out the fliers and plan according to what's on sale. I mostly shop at Kroger and Schnuck's. When you spend $100, Schnuck's gives you a $10 coupon off your next $100 purchase. So basically, I always get $100 worth of groceries for $90. And I use alot of manufacturers coupons too.

I also save restaurant coupons. It's usually buy one entree, get one 1/2 off. Works out great because Jerry and I have lunch every Monday. I'm not willing to give it up all together to save money, but the coupons save us $4-5 each time.

We are getting rid of our land line soon. We pack our lunches most days. Nathan has alot of hand-me-down clothes (thanks to cool boy cousins and some friends at State Farm). And, I'm in the process of refinancing my car loan at a much better interest rate with the SF Credit Union.

I say all this, and then we have a boat and a motorcycle we don't NEED. I guess we all have to make choices. :)

I'm open to other ideas. Anyone?

Ann said...

We've mainly tried to cut down on extra trips to save gas. I've been a couponer for years. The grocery store near our house gives double coupons, so I look for values of sales/coupons combined and stock up whether we need the item right then or not. We have plenty of TP right now, so if anyone needs some, come on by the house!

Ada said...

For no longer than a roll of TP lasts these days, one needs to stock up!

We have cut our driving by quite a bit - especially trips to B'ton. I have just limited my shopping in general and don't buy stuff I don't need. We have been eating out much less often and also eating simpler meals at home. Another thing that doesn't save any money but is a good idea is using the store's "green bags". I like not having 50 plastic bags everytime I shop.

Nog Blog said...

My main money-saving tip is: STAY OUT OF THE STORES! If I go in, I buy. Dropped $60 this morning, just "stopping in" at a department store. Oops!

kelsie c. said...

I'm sure the democratic side would say the same about McCain, it just depends on who you are listening to; you have to see both sides.

Although my financial situation is different than adults obviously because I don't pay bills, my friends and I carpool a lot more and we go out to eat a lot less. We've been bringing our lunches to school more also.

Anonymous said...

Celina,You are right that one needs to look at both sides. But in doing so one must be aware that many issues are directly opposite--like gay marriage, abortion, and others. Such issues have long time effects for future generations. As a voter one must decide which issues square with God's Word in the Bible and then vote accordingly. Aunt Mim