Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Down in the Back

Just about every Klopfenstein I know has been "down in the back" as some point, or at least that's my perception. So, now I want to know, what as been the most common back ailment in the Klopfenstein family and what are some of the remedies you have found to be helpful?

Of course, I have a reason for asking this. I woke up about a week ago with a very sore lower back. I could hardly straighten up as I got out of bed. The pain was localized to my lower back, but as I went throughout the day Wednesday, the pain continued to intensify. As I got up Thursday, the pain had moved into my right hip and was shooting down my leg to below the knee. I worked through it, but Thursday night, the pain was intense and I didn't hardly sleep that night. (My wife had no pity on me either)

On Friday I went to the Chiropractor and got some relief, but by Friday night the pain was back full force. All weekend my mobility was limited and pain intense. On Monday I went back to the Chiropractor and had an ex-ray done. It shows I have a large bone spur on one of my vertebrae that is pushing on the nerves in my back.

My current treatment is alternating ice and heat, alternating 400mg aleave & 600mg ibuprofen every 6 hours (I learned dosages from my Mother) and not staying in one spot too long.

What has brought you relief in the past when you've had back issues? EDK

5 comments:

Nog Blog said...

Oh, Eric, Eric, I know it hurts! It is definitely a malady in our family, at least. Jake has already had back surgery, and Uncle Stan suffers every day from his degenerative back. Well, your OTC medications are right...a medical doctor could give you a muscle relaxer or stronger pain pills, and possibly a cortisone injection that might help. My experience was that it would generally take about 2 weeks for an episode to get better, with mostly lying in a recliner, night and day to rest it. Thankfully, my back has been much better in the past few years. With a bone spur, you may be in for surgery...better save up your sick days! Love, Mom

Ada said...

Sorry to hear you're having such back pain. I have always had mild chronic lower-back pain which gets worse mostly if I lift something very heavy (that being about 20 lbs or more) or stand on my feet for long periods of time. My worst time was when our three children were small and had to be lifted. Now at the end of any day, it may hurt mildly and when I do strain it, I just take it easy for a few days. I also take one aleve every day.

For sure you'll have to relax and do very little for a while, but hopefully it will heal without surgery and quickly.

Anonymous said...

About 4 years ago I had a bad time with a herniated disk. Since this was when I was in Ohio I can say this without being self-serving, but the only place I could sit without pain was my Herman Miller Aeron chair at work. Thankfully I had bought one a few years before I even knew I'd be working at HMI.

I also had 6-8 weeks of therapy at two different times. Both times included massage and traction. One of the therapists told me that I am the most inflexible person she'd ever worked with. I still laugh about it since I realize it's probably true.

The key is doing the exercises to prevent future problems. I heard numerous times "The stomach is the front of the back" so you need to strengthen the entire core. This site has quite a few of the exercises I was given. http://www.bigbackpain.com/back_exercises.html Most people I know with back problems have been given the pelvic tilt and arm and leg raises.

I sympathize with you and hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Eric; it is said that most Americans do or will suffer some back problems in their lifetime. The Klopfenstein's have their share, including me...often in my adult life, lasting usually about a week at a time. A $20 velcro back brace from Walgreen's is worth the investment for some slight release of pain and for support. My back problems have mysteriously been absent now for about 4 years. Hoping you get relief soon...
Cleve

Jason-Janice (mostly Janice) said...

Rhoda, I also heard some "great" news once from a medical person. My chiropractor was going on about needing a strong core, and even made a point to show me on the little skeleton model how between the ribs and the pelvis there is only the spine as far as bones are concerned, so muscle is needed to hold all that up. Anyway, he told me for core strength, on a scale from 1 to 10, I had a zero. The weakest core he had seen in a long time, maybe ever. That's my claim to fame, and I still laugh about it, too!

Once in an exercise class, the trainer was trying to encourage me to work harder, that he thought I could be putting more effort into my crunches, and he wasn't going to let up on me. He just sat at my feet while I was attempting to crunch, barely lifting my shoulders, trying to move my chin and neck up and down as much as possible so it looked like SOMETHING was moving. I just wanted to tell him, "You don't understand. I have no core strength. ZERO on a scale from 1 to 10!"

So even though I can't blame the Klopfenstein in me (or lack thereof) for back issues, I'll just blame my nonexistent core muscles.