Wednesday, October 29, 2008

AUTUMN TREES

The trees around Gridley have been beautiful - especially the red maples. Among the prettiest are those in Perry's yard. As I drive past his house, I wish I had those beautiful trees in our yard. But as I watch Carol and Preston rake the new-fallen leaves, I'm glad they are in Perry's yard and not ours. It brings back memories of when I was a child and Alice, Perry and I would all rake the leaves of an evening - and usually Mother would let us get sticks and roast hotdogs and marshmallows in the burning leaves. YUMMY!

We have two "baby" red maples, but by the time they create enough leaves to rake, we'll probably be gone - or old enough to hire someone else to rake them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The trees here seem to be more vibrant this year. I've enjoyed the colors so much and they seem to be lasting a long time as well. I posted pictures of a few of the trees in my neighborhood that I've enjoyed on my blog.

Eric - Retta said...

I was going to lunch Thursday with some guys from GM (all of whom are convinced they will be out of jobs in the next couple weeks) and the comment was made by one of them that the leaves hadn't started to change. yet. I hadn't thought about it yet, but only a few of the trees have the vibrant fall colors so far. Most of the trees in our yard are still green. EDK

Ann said...

Our trees have not peaked yet but should in the next week or two. It's been several years since one of those breathlessly-beautiful autumns. The drought apparently affects that also.