Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Flashback II

This is not intended to upstage Perry's Flashback, but simply to lend credence to his memory.

The conventions of "yesterday" were much more exciting than of "today." Of course, radio was the communication medium. If I remember correctly the year was 1944 and I listened yet at midnight and later on the front porch (now brother Perry's home). The intensity was gut wrenching! Senator Taft and ??? were fighting it out. There would be 20-30 minute demonstrations at the base of the podium; demonstrations to get the control needed to influence other delegates and to win the nomination. When did teleprompters come into play? These speeches seemed to come from the heart with fiery delivery. The radio announcers and commentators could really "hype it up" and make the listener think he was at the convention.

Sometimes the activities would carry on until the wee hours. Listening to all this was captivating. I almost well up in emotion upon reflecting on these times. As a teenager, this was a new avenue of interest and it really drew me in! Times change--now the conventions are so much more subdued. Television has created a new look and, of course, anyone on camera wants to look (and act) their best to protect personal image. That's OK, but in my opinion it has taken a big piece of the heart out of the conventions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the reminisces and can picture the scene. Great memories you and Uncle Perry have shared. As for today's conventions - what has "improved" in form has been lost in substance!

Ada said...

I remember when I was in fourth grade and Eisenhower and Stevenson were running against each other. We kids argued about who should win -- I think I was in the minority in supporting Eisenhower. Later I remember the Democratic convention - on our little portable TV (as it came out of hiding. Kennedy and Johnson were the big runners with Kennedy winning. Later, in November, as a junior in high school, I went to a "slumber party" at one of my friends house and stayed up and watched the election between Kennedy and Nixon with Kennedy winning. Sadly, not too long after, we watched the Kennedy assassination/funeral. Who can ever forget the car spinning away, Jacki marching in her black veil, John-John saluting his father, and so much more.