Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Remembering Mother

I enjoyed the comments regarding my Mother by Ann. And I commend you Ann. And Judy's comments intrigued me too. Somehow, I am a little vague in remembering the bookstore visits with Judy, but I remember we were close, and did a lot together. I was 29 in 1968, and single. I was converted on April 11 and baptized on July 21, by George M. Gramm, the elder, not to be confused with George Gramm, my grandfather (father to Anna). At any rate it was a wonderful time. I was living in West Lafayette, Indiana at the time and worked in grain merchandising for Continental Grain Company, and later became manager of that office. I came home a lot of weekends and I, too, enjoyed the hospitality and cooking of Grandma Klopfenstein, and I learned a lot from her.

She once told me, "If you don't like someone, they can tell it." The message? You better develop a liking for everyone.

She also advised me that if problems arise in the church, "You just keep still."

You are all good writers. I wonder if Ann runs the ABWI (Ann Bales Writing Institute); or if Eric K. operates the EKWI (Eric Knocloch Writing Institute). If so, they could merge and call it EK-AB-WI. Enough.

Best to all.

From the Homestead

3 comments:

Nog Blog said...

Interesting comments from Grandma. Never heard those. She told me once I should NEVER stay home from church just because of my hair! I must have been having a bad time getting ready for church. We have mentioned her good advice, but we all know she could scold also!

Ann said...

Thank you for your kind comments, Uncle Perry. Eric - are you ready to incorporate?!! IMHO (in my humble opinion), the writing abilities in the EJK clan extend far and wide among all the represented generations.

Eric - Retta said...

I'm ready to incorporate. I have always loved writing. The other day my Plant Manager and I were both asked to respond to a email by a VP in our company. We decided to spend the day working on our response apart from each other and then compare notes to see if we were seeing the situation the same with our response. Well, my response, when printed was 3 pages long. My Plant Managers was 6 sentences. The Plant Manager called me "long winded" and a "whiner". However, we added his 6 sentences to the end of my 3 pages and the email to rk2's neighborhood, Holland MI.

Two of my longterm dreams are to: 1. follow in the footsteps of my Grandfather's and write a book about my life (hope it's noteworthy of such some day) 2. Have a library room in our home that is filled top to bottom, side to side with books I have read.

Well, back to work.
EDK