Saturday, August 16, 2008

PerryScope

This is a historic moment for me as it's my first post in the EJK Family Blog, and it is taking place at the Historic Homestead, wherein I was born and lived in childhood, and again in 1974 when Carol, Elizabeth and I moved here in August of 1974, the same day President Richard Nixon left the White House and Gerald Ford became president. A tidbit I delight in. And in 2008, we are still here, having trained up five children -- and now there are ten grandchildren, with two in the oven. And with Perry, II now married the oven could possibly get fuller by Christmas. Who knows?

As of this date, Carol and I still occupy the old Homestead, along with Preston, 17, who will matriculate on Monday at Heartland College in Normal, with the goal of studying history; and he hopes to teach that subject, perhaps in a Christian school near one of our churches, possibly Countryside Private School, where he graduated this past May. Longer term, he may some day take over Klopfenstein Office Supply, which we have owned for 31 years. I am still game to continue working.

Actually, I tell people I am retired. I retired at age 38 when I bought out Widmer Office Supply and renamed it. My rationale? It is not work, I enjoy it so much. I have enjoyed my six-day weeks now for 31 years, and am eager each Monday morning to go to work. I thrive on the variety, and the ability to be my own boss, and to set my vision and destiny -- of course, with help from Above.

So, I am on board. Be prepared for some prolificness in wordage -- and be alert for my silliness, which often can be subtle.

Perry

2 comments:

Nog Blog said...

Yeah, Uncle Perry! A post and a comment! Keep it up! It's fun and interesting to hear from everybody. There's been a few new ones recently, and Mom has been learning to read the blog on a computer at Evergreen. She enjoys it.

Ada said...

Glad you finally took the plunge. I'm sure you'll have many words of wisdom for us.