Saturday, August 23, 2008

I'll be Barack


Kelsie and I went to Springfield today for the Obama/Biden rally. We waited in line for about an hour, quickly made it through the Secret Service screening, and then waited in a mob of sweaty people for another hour. It was impressive to hear 20,000 people recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and then the complete silence during a prayer. Obama talked first, and then Biden came out. They talked for about 30-40 minutes total, and all the while Kelsie and I wormed our way closer and closer. By the end, we had gotten pretty close, maybe within 20-30 yards. While we only caught glimpses of them through a bush (it doesn't help that we are so short!), it was worth the trip and the heat. The pic attached is from when we were further back -- if you look closely, you can see Obama. Particularly if they win, this will go down as a day to remember for years to come.

4 comments:

Ada said...

Ang/Kelsie---Sounds like a lot of fun. I can remeber when I stood with you on my shoulders to get a fast "peak" at Pres. Ford!!! Great description of the order of events
Dad

Jason-Janice (mostly Janice) said...

I'm glad you had the opportunity to go. One of the things that struck me most when I lived in Spain was how the entire family I lived with was so involved in the election process. Parents and children discussed and election day was a day off school. Our family walked to the polls, had a picnic at a park, talked about the candidates...it was a really a big deal to them. Good for you for getting Kelsie to be a part of it.

Eric - Retta said...

I bet it was a fun and exciting time for both of you. Our right to vote is something we should not take for granted and teaching our kids about it is important.

I remember when Sam went to see President Clinton in Urbana while in Med School and asked someone to get a picture of him shaking Bill's hand. After the event, when he looked that picture, that's what is was, a picture of Sam's hand and the President's hand, nothing else. It's great to hear Sam tell the story.

Ann said...

When I was a senior in college, Candidate Reagan came for a rally that all students attended. I had a seat near the side door so had an easy out. . .and when walking to class realized I was right by the door that Reagan and Nancy would be exiting from in a few minutes, and being one of the first out of the auditorium was in a great position to be at the front. I was late to class, but it was worth it - I got to shake both Reagan and Nancy's hands. As the others said, it's a good thing and makes great memories to be part of the political process.