Monday, August 25, 2008

An Embarrassing Moment

Recently Cleve mentioned about Aunt Ada teaching about computers. In the early 90s I was teaching computer applications at PCS and was working with Larry, the IBM salesperson, to put in a new computer lab. There were many calls back and forth for several months between Larry and me. After one very long Monday I called Larry to get the price of another piece of equipment and got his voice mail since he was on vacation all week. My mind kind of went on autopilot as I was so tired and my message went something like this:

"Larry, I know you're on vacation all week, but I need to know if we used (some kind I don't remember cords) what the cost difference would be over (another kind of cord I don't remember). You can just let me know when you get back in the office next week. I think that's all I need for now so in Jesus name we pray Ame" and then I panicked and slammed down the phone.

All week I had to wait knowing the Larry would return from vacation to get the message which I could not delete and re-record. Finally the next Monday came and I get an intercom message that I had a phone call from Larry. I still remember walking to the faculty lounge wondering how I could explain my blunder. After I got the information I needed from him I said, "Umm, Larry, about my message" and he just laughed and laughed. He said it was the most unusual voice mail he'd ever received and that nobody had ever talked to him as if he was God!

I told a few people I realized I'd been ending my prayers with "OK, talk to you later. Bye."

3 comments:

Ada said...

Yep, pretty funny!

Eric - Retta said...

Well, we're supposed to be continually in prayer, but I don't think that's quite what that means. Thanks for the laugh! RK

Anonymous said...

I laughed outloud after the first paragraph, then got on the edge of my chair reading the next paragraph..."how's she gonna end this story???". Any other embarassing moments out there that can be shared? (confessed??).
Cleve