Monday, July 14, 2008

MORE BEETLES




After completing my last post, I thought I better check all my plants around the house. We've had beautiful dark pink climbing roses off our deck for several years. This year they bloomed more profusely than ever and we were thrilled. Lately I've noticed there weren't many blooms, but thought the first "crop" was over and another would begin soon. I just went out there and they were covered with Japanese Beetles and many of the leaves are nearly gone -- perfect example of the beetle infestation! I'm sharing a couple pictures that I took after I soaked it all with the Sevin spray! Many bugs have already fallen off and the ones left are staggering! Whether my roses will survive remains to be seen. If you're not already doing so, you better watch out for these ugly guys!
OH NO! Jerry just called me outside -- one of our trees is completely covered and they are flying all over the yard. Another - one of the pretty birch trees - has a lot. I'm leaving you now to call a pest control. Mary --- HELP!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We get an infestation every year in our garden. I saw the first few over the weekend. We have found it helpful to get a Japanese beetle trap and put it as far away as possible. You will be amazed at how many you collect, and it can be quite ecklish. (A good Klopfenstein vocabulary word.) I've heard that the scent attracts them from many yards, but if it keeps the bugs off my vegetables, it's worth it. Get the Tanglefoot brand if possible. The plastic containers are nicer than the plastic bags.

Anonymous said...

Sorry - Cook's only treats for indoor pests plus termites. Can't help! I'm sure Rhoda's advice will be valuable.

Nog Blog said...

That is terrible! After all your hard work and beautiful plants - I hope there isn't permanent damage. Tomorrow I have a pest control guy coming to check a spot in our sun room where we've been fighting tiny little bugs (possibly some kind of small ant, but too tiny to tell really). We have some great strong farmer spray and the bugs are always there, dead on arrival. I'm afraid for what they will find in the wall or whatever. They have to be coming from somewhere. Tomorrow it's the professionals problem...