Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Lake Run

Since most of our teammates are running their big race in Indy today, Brett and I decided to do our training at the 27th Annual Lake Run. They have three events, a non-competitive 3 mile walk, a 7K run, and a 12K (7.44 mile) run around Lake Bloomington. We signed up for the 12K.

Brett's time was 1 hour 15 minutes. Mine was 1 hour 31 minutes. I finished second to last! WOOHOO! In fact, I WAS last for most of the way, but I passed a guy in his sixties (I guess) at mile 6.

One of the things I love about endurance running is that you don't have to be an elite competitor to participate. The only time you need to worry about is your own, and you only need to compete with yourself and your goals. The goals I reached today:

1. Finish.
2. Maintain a steady pace. (I was pretty consistent ~12:15/mile the whole way.)

So yay for us! Just four more weeks to Race Day in San Diego.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bret and Jen!! Dad (Grandpa K) ran that Lake Run several times and it can get a little hilly. Yes, endurance Road Racing is a personal thing -- finishing is the goal and can be a great accomplishment. Peoria has had a 4-mile Steamboat Classic since the early 70's. Dad ran it, I think, 25 consecutive years, including in 2002 at age 74.5 and I ran it 5 times. Otherwise, I would always go as a spectator or picture-taker. I've witnessed nearly every sporting event there is to watch, but road-racing is by far the most exhilerating and emotional to observe -- to see individuals of all ages (and sizes)achieve a personal goal.
Keep us informed about your San Diego race!
Cleve

Mama Runner said...

Okay, I checked the official results, and there was someone else behind me. So I was 310 out of 312. And the gentleman I passed was 73! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your race!!! I'm impressed with anyone who sets a running goal and achieves it.

Rhoda