Saturday, May 10, 2008

GOOD BLACK EARTH

As I was driving home from Bloomington yesterday, I noticed the beauty of the freshly worked black earth. The farmers were busy in the fields and some fields were showing rows of green with the sprouting of tiny corn. The smell of the black dirt is also a good sign of Spring.

And most people think driving through the Midwest flat farming land is boring. I think it is amazing to watch the crops grow and flourish each year. It shows the "amazingness" of God just as much as the majestic mountains of the West.

I hope to plant a few pots of flowers today and brighten up our deck.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Klop mothers out there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comment about watching the crops grow through the seasons. This morning I took a different route on my walk and could overlook the muck fields on the edge of town. After watching the corn and soybeans of Illinois grow for eleven years, it's interesting to me to see the crops grown here. Hudsonville is nicknamed "Michigan's Salad Bowl". Daily I drive past muck fields (different than the black dirt of IL) of celery, onions, radishes, and beets. In the "regular" dirt fields the farmers here do grow corn and soybeans, but the other crops are unique to what I've always seen.

Eric - Retta said...

I can remember coming home from our last family vacation to the west coast and thinking that Illinois was just as unique as all those other places we saw on vacation. We saw the Rockies, the Grand Canyon, drove up the coast, saw Mount St. Helen's, Yellowstone, etc. No place we saw was like Illinois. I love coming home and seeing the corn and beans gently blowing in the wind or flying over Illinois during harvest. Truely a unique picture.

PS: Have learned in the last four years that the "s" in Illinois is not silent, but should be pronounced to make it sound proper.

Eric

Anonymous said...

I must weigh in about the "s" in Illinois. The person who uses it gives a clear indication that they are NOT from Illinois. So, if you're hearing it in Alabama, that would make sense. They're not from IL! :)

Anonymous said...

I hear the "s" in Illinois here in Michigan. You'd think at least Mid-westerners would know it is silent.

Ann said...

If you live away from the midwest, that black dirt is a beautiful sight you have to get back to see again every now and then.