Wednesday, April 23, 2008

DINNER WITH THE AMISH

Yesterday I spent the day with my friends from Meadows. We went on a bus trip to the little town of Arthur IL and had a chicken dinner in the home of an Amish family. It was very interesting. They had a large older home that was very open, airy, and non-cluttered. I have never seen such shiny polished hardwood floors. The meal was very good and the lady was very gracious but not very talkative. Although she did ask us where we were from, and she would shyly answer questions if asked.

There were only a few plaques hanging on the walls -- interestingly, one was the "Rules for Today" - Do nothing you would not like to be doing when Jesus comes; Say nothing . . . and Go to no place . . ." I just had to tell her that I had learned those rules as we had them in our house when I was growing up. She smiled and said someone had given the plaque to her.

We then went to a Miller's Dry Goods store that had much more than dry goods, Beachy's Food Store where I bought some sweet rolls for Jerry, then to some of the shops on mainstreet. It was a fun day. I used to take the group there when I worked at Meadows, but we had never had dinner in a home so that was nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish you would've gotten some pics of that!

Anonymous said...

Most true Amish are reluctant to have their picture taken. Perhaps that's why you weren't able to post any -- it sure would have been interesting.
Cleve