Tuesday, February 19, 2008

First ever Blog obituary


This might be the first obituary to appear on any blog anywhere, but thought I'd post this for educational purposes -- especially for the great neices and nephews, etc. I learned alot about great-Uncle Art from this -- died at age 44 in 1950 -- way too soon for me to remember him. Nor did I know we had a mortician in the family until I read this.
I believe Ada is correct by identifying the "old lady" in the black-&-white blog photo from Feb. 15th as her great-grandmother (my great, great, grandmother). If so, I'm taking some risk to think that the gentleman standing next to her might be Uncle Art. There seems to be a physical resemblance there. He appears to be perhaps in his early 30's --young enough to still have a grandmother and be standing next to her. Therefore, that picture might have been taken in the early 1930's. The only amazement is that there would have been cameras of that quality in those days! I'm open to anyone who might disagree that the gentleman is Uncle Frank. Could it be any of the other Sophia K. children?
My father has this obituary in his scrapbook.
Cleve

1 comment:

Ann said...

It does look like it might be the same man in both pictures. The picture of the lady in the other post - Great-Great Grandmother Sommer-is also in Dad's new book, but the man is cut off.

I've often wondered about all these uncles that most of us never knew.